Tuesday, January 29, 2008

more pictures by popular demand...

there would be more, but blogger seems to be experiencing difficulties

#1 a restaurant near Blarney castle. its color-- and the way it contrasted the neutral colors of its surroundings-- attracted me



#2 a cathedral in Cork. I'm pretty sure it was either Christ Church or St. Patrick's, but there was no way to find out for sure because to cross the busy road between us and the church would probably have equaled death

#3 standing downtown, looking up the hill. there's a big church at the top, in the center. I think this picture would look cooler if it were bigger







tonight I watched a live video conference with Noam Chomsky-- NUIG had 4 panelists who talked with him via video phone for about an hour. topics covered included the meaning of 'true democracy', the US political elections, freedom of speech, and more.

honestly, he wasn't as radical as I was expecting, nor was he as eloquent. I saw a lot of holes in his arguments, and he often didn't speak directly to the point, but rather in tangents. when the only female panelist took him to task for his apparent misogynistic disregard for hillary clinton, he completely evaded the accusations.

at any rate, it was pretty cool to "see" Noam Chomsky.

tomorrow (and every Wednesday from here on out) I'm in class from 9AM until 7pm. it's currently 1:17AM, but insomnia has finally discovered my new location, and has once again settled comfortably in my brain (or whereve insomnia settles).

this weekend I'm headed to Tuam for my homestay. though it was pegged as a chance to experience "traditional" "rural" Irish life, I'll be staying with a Sales Associate and her husband the Technician. "they have no pets". this is the extent of the information that I've been given. I'm excited.

No comments: