Wednesday, April 30, 2008

more pictures

#1 have I mentioned this yet? during the famine, the government decided that they couldn't give aid 'for nothing'-- because then people would always expect 'free' aid. so the government decided to make people 'work' for the aid. this work consisted of building random fences and roads that led nowhere and had no purpose other than to fill people's days. the fences and roads ended whenever all of the workers had died. this fence-- leading up a mountain-- is one such fence. I have also come across roads that simply... end
#2 this castle is unique in that it has big, fairly open windows-- most castles in Ireland have the little slit-windows required for adequate protection from arrows. the residents of this castle must have liked to flirt with danger. badass.
#3 atop the cliffs, I found this field. the cows are less than a couple hundred feet from the edge of the cliff, and it's always windy-- I can't believe how serene they are; I'd be pretty pissed off if someone asked me to live up there all the time
#4 on the way back from the cliffs. this is called the "moon or lunar area", because theoretically the rocks look like the surface of the moon. the area is formed by glaciers, and is more than 15,000 old
#5 sheep! more specifically: baby sheep! awwww

1 comment:

DFolkers said...

This is all so cool - I've had a reasonably crappy week, and even though I swear I checked the blog earlier this week, I just discovered this megaload of pictures and info -- this is the best thing that's happened all day (pathetic, but true). Very cool

And to realize that I was so close to the cliffs of Insanity! Man, I wish Colin and I had had a chance to do this trip.

Mom/Deirdre